Academic staff are called upon to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students in a variety of settings, including final year projects and dissertations, MSc projects and PhD research projects. This course focuses on the supervision of research students.
Supervising Students will have sessions provided by CLAD & Learning Spaces, the University Graduate School and Colleges.
For supervisors who have previously participated in Supervising Students, we ask that you please take the following online refresher course every 2 years to keep up-to-date on the university’s expectations in supervision. It can be found here: https://canvas.bham.ac.uk/enroll/6WAC9C
- Experiences of supervising students
- The relationship between supervisor and student, and common difficulties
- Codes of practice regulations covering supervision of research students
- Key stages of a research project and how to help students plan and coordinate their work
- Ways of leading research students
- Training and support for students
- Students at risk and how to help them complete their work
- Understanding of how to develop a good working research relationship
- Practical strategies for dealing with problems
- Understanding of support and development processes available to students
- Ability to relate the principles covered to undergraduate supervision
Dr Karen E H Skinazi, CLAD & Learning Spaces Academic Practice Advisor
Dr Neil Hotchin, Director of Postgraduate Studies
College PGR Leads
Monday 13 November 13:00 - 16:00
Thursday 7 December 13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday 24 January 13:00 - 16:00
Friday 16 March 13:00 - 16:00
Wenesday 25 April 12:00 - 15:00
Book a place on the course
Please contact email@example.com to book a place on this course.
- your full name
- your ID number
- the course title/date, and
- the name of your School/Department.
This course will run on the dates indicated subject to the minimum enrolment being met.
Suggested reading/ useful links
QAA UK Quality Code for Higher Education
UoB Codes of Practice
Supervising a social science undergraduate dissertation: staff experiences and perceptions', Teaching in Higher Education, 11:2, 161 - 173 Todd, Malcolm J., Smith, Karen and Bannister, Phil (2006)
Vitae supervisors and managers website