PGR Career Options: Discover non-academic careers in higher education
- Westmere House - Seminar Room (G15 on the Campus map)
It takes more than just academic staff to keep a university running. From library services to research support, student recruitment to academic skills development... higher education institutions employ thousands of people in non-academic or academic-related professional roles, each of whom plays their own part in university life.
If you enjoy being part of a university environment but want to explore your possibilities beyond academic research and teaching, a professional career in higher education could be an ideal option.
This event offers you a great opportunity to:
- Meet former PGRs working in a range of interesting non-academic roles in higher education
- Find out more about the kinds of jobs that PhDs go on to do
- Work out what kind of university-based career might suit you
Our panelists include*:
- Georgina Hardy (PhD Chemistry): Interim Head of the University Graduate School and PGR Skills Development professional
- Jeremy Diaper (PhD English Literature): Current trainee on the University of Birmingham's Professional Services Graduate Training Scheme
- Ryan Brown (PhD Physical Sciences of Imaging in Biomedical Sciences): Technology Transfer Officer for the College of Medical and Dental Sciences
- Samantha Taylor (MA Applied Linguistics): Academic administrator for the School of History and Cultures
- Holly Prescott (PhD Cultural Geography): PGR Careers Adviser
- Steve Bull (PhD Physics): Subject Adviser – University of Birmingham library
- Helen Williams (PhD English Literature): Learning and Skills Officer, University of Wolverhampton
*Line-up is provisional and subject to change
We try to make all our events accessible; however we are aware that this is not always the case. If you have additional requirements or concerns about accessing a workshop, please click here to advise us and a member of Careers Network will get back to you as soon as possible.