This PSA taught module will introduce you to the key concepts of leadership and teamwork, through examination of theories and practical engagement with real life scenarios.
About Leadership and Teamwork
The ability to work in – or lead - teams is an essential employability skill that almost all employers will look for. This module will help you to develop your understanding of leadership and teamwork, and to put those skills into practice with a practical teamwork task. You will also learn how to articulate your leadership and teamwork, by learning how to answer application-form and interview questions on these skills.
In the module sessions, you will reflect on what you can uniquely bring to teamwork scenarios, and how and why your personal teamworking style might differ from others. You will consider theory around the classic team roles, as well as looking at stages of team development, and different types of teams.
You will be challenged to establish a small team within the module group, in order to complete one of your assessment tasks (a group presentation).
We will also spend time looking at the concept of leadership – what it is, how you can develop it, and how you can demonstrate it. You will also be asked to reflect on your leadership abilities and to outline future plans to enhance this skill.
The sessions will include:
- Understanding self and others
- Writing reflectively
- Articulating leadership and teamwork skills in applications and interviews
- Classic team roles, types of team, stages of team formation, dealing with conflict
- Four types of leadership theory, action-centred leadership, authentic leadership
- Putting theory into practice – completing a team task (presentations)
By the end of the module you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to participate in a team-work scenario, to achieve a specified task/goal.
- Demonstrate an ability to use reflective practice techniques, to evaluate their own teamwork and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the skills of leadership and teamwork – including analysis of leadership and teamwork theory, as well as how they are assessed in the graduate recruitment process.
- Demonstrate an ability to present leadership and teamwork knowledge in a clear and professional way – both in presentation format, and in answering interview questions.
Each PSA module will be marked as a pass or fail. You must meet the criteria to pass in order to complete the module and earn the 50 PSA points. PSA points will be automatically awarded upon completion.