This is an optional PSA online course and you will earn 20 PSA points for completing this course.
Participating in sports or exercise can be personally very rewarding, and it can help develop you into a well-rounded individual. Participating in sport can also develop a wealth of employability skills and attributes which are incredibly valuable to employers – but it can sometimes be difficult to know exactly how to articulate the skills gained from a sporting context in the most effective way.
This course will help you to recognise and articulate the value of your skills gained through participation in sports, and will help you reflect on how you can use your sporting experiences in a professional context.
This course is recommended to all students involved in sporting activities whilst at university, whether through University of Birmingham Sport, your department, or outside of campus. Even if you simply exercise for health or enjoyment in your own time, this course will still be relevant to you!
By the end of this online course, you will be able to:
- Recognise the qualities and attributes that can be developed through sports.
- Apply the principles of reflective practice to a sports-based experience
- Evaluate own skills, competencies, and qualities which have been developed through sports.
- Demonstrate an ability to reflect on how sporting experiences might relate to your future career goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of using sports-based examples to write effective applications (e.g. answering competency-based questions).
- Articulate own skills and qualities – developed thorough sports – effectively.
- Demonstrate an ability to promote sporting participation effectively.
You can enrol directly onto the PSA Recognising the Value of your Sport course.
Enrolling onto an online course will not enrol you onto the Personal Skills Award full programme. If you want to complete the PSA to receive the certificate you must attend a PSA Induction Session by 19 January 2018.
If you are interested in this topic and have no intention of enrolling onto the PSA then you can complete the course but you will receive no recognition of completion.
20 PSA points will be automatically awarded to your PSA profile (if fully enrolled onto the PSA) when you complete an online course. Therefore you do not need to claim points for completing PSA online courses.