Suitable for: all staff, postgraduates and undergraduate students who have a role in teaching and/or support learning and wish to gain recognition for their professional practice.
The University of Birmingham Beacon Professional Recognition scheme provides the opportunity to become an Associate Fellow, Fellow, Senior Fellow or Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA). The University is accredited by Advance HE to award Fellowships to eligible staff in recognition of their continuing success in teaching and supporting learning.
Introduction to the Beacon Professional Recognition scheme
HEA Fellowship is an internationally recognised ‘qualification’ which shows commitment to professionalism in teaching and learning in higher education.
As of July 2023, there are over 174,000 fellows across the world, Fellowships are embedded in the UK and have been adopted by increasing numbers of higher education institutions globally, from the Americas to Australasia.
The University of Birmingham Beacon Professional Recognition scheme (Beacon) provides the opportunity to become an Associate Fellow, Fellow, Senior Fellow or Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA). As such it is ‘mapped’ against the 2011 UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF), the aims of which are to:
- Support the initial and continuing professional development of staff engaged in teaching and supporting learning.
- Foster dynamic approaches to teaching and learning through creativity, innovation and continuous development in diverse academic and / or professional settings.
- Demonstrate to students and other stakeholders the professionalism that staff and institutions bring to teaching and support for student learning.
- Acknowledge the variety and quality of teaching, learning and assessment practices that support and underpin student learning.
- Facilitate individuals and institutions in gaining formal recognition for quality-enhanced approaches to teaching and supporting learning, often as part of wider responsibilities that may include research and / or management activities.
Note: you can also achieve fellowship of the Higher Education Academy by successfully completing one of our taught programmes – for further information on the taught programmes please see our HEFi page.
If you have any queries please contact us.