Last updated 31 July 2020.
Following the announcement that the University is moving to restricted campus operations, the Main Library and all site libraries are closed until further notice.
During this time, we are being flexible regarding loans.
- Please hold onto books until we reopen. Nothing will be due back until further notice. If you are a finalist and cannot take books with you when you leave Birmingham, please see information below on returning books.
- We will not be fining anyone during this period.
- We will cover the renewal of inter-library loan items from other institutions.
While the Library is closed you can still access services online, including online skills support, e-books, e-journals and other online resources available via our website and FindIt@Bham.
For all information or questions relating to the wider University, there is separate guidance for staff and students and postgradute researchers provided centrally by the University of Birmingham.
Please see our guidance on recognizable sources of information on Coronavirus.
Contacting Library Services
How do I get in touch with Library Services?
- Our Just Ask! online chat service is available 24/7.
- You can submit a question to Library Services or email Library@bham.ac.uk,we aim to respond to all enquires within 24 hours.
- While the Main Library is shut the telephone service will not be available.
- We will keep these FAQs regularly updated with the latest information about our services.
Can I still get support from the Academic Skills Centre and Digital Skills?
One-to-one appointments for the Academic Skills Centre (taught students only) and Digital Skills (taught students and postgraduate researchers) are available remotely via Skype or email. Workshops are not available, but skills resources are available at the Academic Skills Gateway and LinkedIn Learning.
Can I still get access to research support?
The Research Skills team have a range of resources online and will continue to support academic staff and postgraduate researchers via email and Skype.
Should I still deposit my thesis to eTheses?
Please continue to deposit the electronic version of your thesis to eTheses.
Access to Library collections
What library collections can I use while the libraries are closed?
- Access to e-books, e-journals and other online resources are unaffected.
- See our guide to the key subscribed resources in each subject area.
- Sign in via FindIt@Bham with your university username and password to search for resources.
- You can use the drop-down filters to search for ‘online items: ejournals & ebooks only’
- You can also use ‘Tweak my results’ within FindIt@Bham to limit your search results to resources with full text online, or to limit your results to e-books, e-journals etc.
What should I do if I have trouble accessing online resources?
- If you are using the VPN (remote access client) and are experiencing difficulties accessing online resources via FindIt@Bham, disconnect from the VPN and try again.
- If you continue to experience problems in accessing online resources, you can log a call with the IT Service Desk.
Can I borrow print books?
- During the library closure, you will not be able to borrow print books from any of our libraries.
- You will not be able to request an item which is out on loan to someone else.
- You do not need to return your books until we reopen.
- Due dates are being extended periodically.
- Finalists can leave books at Leo's Lounge at Pritchetts Park Village, at the Vale Reception, and at Jarratt Hall (under the archway. There's a bin next to Jarratt Hall Reception with a sign for library returns. If there isn't a member of staff present at Jarratt Hall, call the number on the exterior door and someone will let you in). Please leave in a bag with a label stating your name and the date you returned the books.
Will I be fined if my books are returned late?
- Library Services will not be charging fines during this period.
- All books have been renewed until 1 September 2020.
Can I request a book from the Research Reserve?
While the Main Library is closed, you will not be able to place a request for an item for the Research Reserve.
Can I request a book via a postal loan, or request a photocopy/scan?
While the Main Library is closed, you will not be able to request a postal loan or request a photocopy or scan of library material.
Can I still access ResourceLists@Bham?
You can continue to search and browse resource lists via ResourceLists@Bham
, and access online and digitised content. However, while the libraries are closed, you will not be able to access the print books and journals recommended on a resource list.
I have a disability. Will Library Services still provide me with a fetching service?
While the Main Library is closed, Library Services will not be able to provide a fetching service or assisted photocopying service.
I am a student with a disability. Will I still be able to obtain accessible versions of my required texts?
- Please raise your request for accessible texts as normal by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library Services do not have access to the library’s print collections during the closure period but the team are investigating other options for obtaining content.
- We only have limited access to software tools to support accessible texts so may not be able fulfil requests to our usual standard.
- You can create your own accessible versions via the Sensus Access conversion tool.
Can I request or return an interlibrary loan?
- You can continue to request interlibrary loans but we will only be able to fulfil requests which can be sourced digitally, for example online articles and book chapters.
- While the Main Library is closed, you will not be able to request interlibrary loan items which require physical delivery, for example loans of books.
- In order to facilitate access to content during the library closure and restricted campus operations we have removed the requirement for a voucher code when placing a request for an interlibrary loan.
- To request an interlibrary loan, login to FindIt@Bham. Perform a search to check that we don't already have a copy of the item. Click the three dots in the top right-hand corner and select “InterLibrary Loan requests”. Complete the form. Please note that at the moment we can only supply journal articles and book chapters.
- If you currently have an interlibrary loan item in your possession, this will be renewed on your behalf until the library reopens
Can I use MoreBooks@Bham to request the library buy new books?
You are welcome to submit MoreBooks@Bham
requests. Library Services will continue to purchase e-books where possible during the period of library closure. Print books can be requested but will not be available until after the Main library reopens.