The Main Library entrance is accessible to all; there is no separate wheelchair entrance. There are four lifts at the centre of the building. During term time from 08:00-22:00, and during vacation from 08:00-20:00, we have staff rovers who are around the building and will be able to help with any enquiries.
You can request an alerter in case of a fire alarm. All of our fourteen Group Study Rooms are fitted with induction loops too.
We have a book fetching service if you cannot access the upper floors or have difficulty negotiating our shelves.
All cluster PCs
Some assistive technology is available on all our PCs for students registered with the Disability and Learning Support Service.
- Jaws for Windows screen reader
- Zoomtext Magnifier / Reader
- Inspiration and Mind Genius: mind mapping software
- TextHelp Read / Write: for students with dyslexia.
For more information, see this information regarding assistive technology on all PCs.
Assistive technology booths
The Main Library has four assistive technology booths. Students will be referred to us by the Disability and Learning Support Service for access. They all have:
- Blinds over the windows.
- PC with matte screen and optical drive
- Natural light lamp
Some hardware and software is only available in specific booths:
- Pearl Scanner with Open Book: booths 3 (room 204) and 4 (room 304)
- Flatbed scanner with optical character recognition software: booth 2 (room 104)
- Index Brailler with software: booth 1 (room G38)
- Tactile graphic printer: booth 1
- Ergonomic or trackball mouse: booths 1, 3 and 4
- High contrast keyboard: booths 1, 3 and 4
- TV magnifier: booth 2
- Dolphin Easy Convertor: booths 1 and 3
- TextHelp Read and Write: 1, 3 and 4
- MindJet Mind Manager: 1, 3 and 4
- Zoomtext: 1, 3 and 4
- Dragon: 1, 3 and 4
- Claro: 1, 3 and 4
- Eclipse: 1
Booths can be booked in advance. They are available during service hours. Please ask staff for details.
Location of booths
- 1: Ground floor in the Library Information Centre. This booth has a glass door.
- 2: First floor
- 3: Second floor
- 4: Third floor
Find your way around the library with our interactive map.