Members of staff who had membership of the University libraries during their working life are entitled to continued membership after they retire.
How to join
- Go to any of our libraries between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- You should take your ID card if you have one or proof of your status as a retired member of staff
- If you don't have an ID card, you should also provide a passport sized photo. (We will need to provide you with a new library card).
- You will be asked to complete a form with your contact details. Staff will then be able to register you straight away.
- Your membership will be renewable annually. This to ensure that we have your correct contact details.
What you get
- You will have access to the physical resources and facilities in any of Library Services’ libraries.
- You will be able to borrow up to 6 books. Most books are available to be borrowed for one week and will renew automatically on the library system each night, if not required by another borrower.
- You will have access to support from our frontline staff both in our libraries and via our Just Ask! online service.
- If you have mobility problems which make it difficult for you to access our shelves, you may request items through our book fetching service. Please ask our staff for details of how this works.
- We will keep in touch with you by email and will notify you if an item has been recalled from you by another borrower.
If you are retiring from employment as a member of academic staff, but feel you need enhanced library access in order to support your continuing research interests, please ask your School about being given honorary status.
What we expect from you
Although we welcome use of our resources and facilities by external members, our prime purpose is to serve the students and academic staff at the University of Birmingham. We would therefore ask you to:
- Return items promptly if recalled by another borrower. Fines will be charged on all items which have not been returned by the date they are due.
- Be aware that our libraries are particularly busy at certain times of year i.e. the start of a new session and the revision and examination period (usually May and the beginning of June). We would therefore ask that you plan to use our services at other times, if at all possible.
Please contact us if you need any more information about retired membership.