Library Services has benefited from many donations of printed materials that have helped to develop the library’s collections. However, not all materials are suitable for our collections.
Donations terms and conditions
We are only able to accept donations which:
- support the current or future teaching, learning, or research needs of the university, or
- support or enhance existing collections, or
- are materials of particular rarity or historical interest, or
- are copies of the latest edition of a textbook, in excellent condition, without damage or marking
We regret that the following types of material are generally unsuitable:
- duplicates of existing stock
- out-of-date or damaged editions of textbooks
- popular fiction
- popular non-fiction
Donations can only be accepted on the condition that they become the property of the University of Birmingham. Library Services retains the right to make available, locate, use, retain or dispose of items according to its own judgement.
Library Services will not pay the delivery costs of a donation and cannot recommend external courier services.
If bookplates are required Library Services can help in the creation of these but the donor will bear the cost.
Rare or manuscript material
The above conditions do not apply to rare or manuscript material being offered to Special Collections.
Please contact them directly for advice.
Guidance notes for donors
Donor’s contact details: Please give name, telephone number and email address. If the donor is external to the University please give postal address.
Subject area of donation: Where possible we would like the subject area of the donation.
List of items: A list of items will speed up checking of the donation and a decision on whether to accept the donation. If you are unable to provide a complete list of items, please provide a smaller list of a representative sample of authors and titles.
Size of donation: In order to ensure we have enough space to hold a donation whilst it is been processed we would need to know the size of it. Approximate size in linear metres and number of books would be very useful.
Type of material: Is the donation books, periodicals, other types of material, or a mixture?
How the donation would enhance the collection: Strong reasoning for how the donation support the aims of the University and enhance the collection will help the case for acceptance of a donation.
- How will the donation support existing or future learning?
- Will it support subjects currently being taught?
- How will it enhance the Library’s collection?
Bookplates: Library Services can arrange bookplates for the items but the donor must bear the costs.
- Library Services would not normally pay the delivery costs of a donation. Delivery internal to the University can be arranged by the donor via the University's Portering Service, but any costs incurred would have to be borne by the donor.
- We cannot recommend external courier services.
The data collected on this form will be processed in accordance with our Data Protection Policy which can be found here. Please contact Library Services if you have any queries or need to change or amend your details.