We are working to a default position that on-campus research activity ceased from 17:00 on Friday 20 March as part of a move to restricted campus operations. Phased reopening of the University campus has begun, with some postgraduate research students resuming research activity. In most cases this will be activity that is lab-based. This will be by invitation only.
In the meantime it is expected and anticipated that postgraduate researchers will continue with their research remotely. PGRs and supervisors should discuss the best course of action in terms of the PGR’s research activities. Tier 4 PGRs have a number of options and these should be discussed.
1. The default position is that the PGR remains in the UK and works remotely. Supervision meetings must continue to take place as normal, either virtually or by telephone and be recorded in the monthly online GRS2 form.
A work plan should be agreed with each PGR to ensure their studies remain on track.
2. If you are Normally Registered and are continuing to work but are not in the UK, you should apply for an authorised absence for the purpose of ‘Conducting research from overseas – PGRs only’.
3. If you are Normally Registered and are able to continue conducting fieldwork, you should apply for an authorised absence for the purpose of ‘Fieldwork’
4. If you are writing up your thesis outside the UK then you should apply for an authorised absence for the purpose of ‘Thesis – writing up in home country’.
Further information about Authorised Absence and how to apply can be found on the Authorised Absence webpage.
If you and your supervisory team feel that COVID19 has significantly delayed your research progress it is possible to apply for either:
- An extension to your studies. (You can apply for an extension if you have experienced significant delay, whether you are normally registered or in thesis awaited), or
- A Leave of Absence (LOA)
The most appropriate option for you will depend on the extent to which your research has been affected, and the evidence contained in your GRS2 forms.
Please see the COVID-19 Extensions Policy for further information.
Further FAQs for international students can be viewed on the COVID-19 FAQs for students webpage.
has posted helpful advice for international students during COVID-19.