Think Graduate School Fridays
Think Graduate School (TGS) Fridays are informal talks and discussions on prominent topics to postgraduate researchers at the University of Birmingham. They are delivered by the people that know best: postgraduate researchers (and where appropriate, academics). They happen every other Friday and refreshments are provided. TGS Fridays are a great way to meet new people in an informal and friendly setting, and learn from other postgraduate researchers at the University of Birmingham.
TGS Fridays wants you
TGS Fridays are talks for postgraduate researchers, by postgraduate researchers. That means that if you are a doctoral researcher at the University of Birmingham and you have an idea for a talk that your peers from across disciplines would be interested in, you can deliver a TGS talk.
We can also accommodate more than one speaker for many of our talks, so if there is a subject in our forthcoming events that you feel you can to contribute to, please get in touch to offer your services.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in proposing a talk, or contributing to a forthcoming talk.
Forthcoming TGS Fridays events
The following talks have been confirmed for the 2014/15 academic year:
- Friday 27th March 2015 (13:00-14:00)
- Muirhead 121
- Leading Academics is the University's programme for leadership development in postgraduate researchers. Hear from researchers who have participated in Leading Academics and find out if the programme is for you. Think Graduate School Fridays are discussion and networking events for postgraduate researchers, by postgraduate researchers.
- Friday 24th April 2015 (13:00-14:00)
- Muirhead 112
- Social media, Twitter in particular can be a very powerful way to raise your research profile, keep up to date in your field and engage new audiences. If you're worried that you are getting left behind this session will start with the basics of Twitter and get you using it like a pro in no time
- Friday 8th May 2015 (13:30-14:30)
- Muirhead 112
- If you are turning your thoughts to life in academia after your PhD studies, then you need to know about Postdoctoral Research Funding. David Evans from the College of Social Sciences Research Support Office will be giving an introductory talk on a range of funding schemes open to Postdoctoral researchers that are designed to help you get a foot on the academic career ladder.
Follow live on Twitter
These sessions will be live tweeted so if you can’t make it, follow the discussion on the University Graduate School Twitter feed using #tgsfridays. We can also ask questions on your behalf live during the session and reply to you via Twitter.
Previous TGS Fridays events
TGS Fridays has been running since the 2012/13 academic year. If you would like details of past TGS Fridays talks, including slides from previous talks, please email email@example.com.