PG Skills: Leadership & Management
- G30 Aston Webb
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Lectures Talks and Workshops, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
No matter what role, sector or country you want to work in, leadership and management skills are incredibly important and useful. According to several skills and employer surveys, leadership and people management are in the top 4 skills that employers are looking for.
Receive advice and training from two experienced leaders – one working in industry and one in academia:
- Dr Andrew Dewar is a consultant who prides himself on bringing calm to your chaos. He has a stellar leadership career, gaining awards in high level sport, third sector and public sector. He uses his expertise in psychology and continuous improvement to lead change, facilitate development, deliver business improvement and coach Executive Managers so they have an even greater positive impact on the people they lead.
- Dr Andrea Patel is Head of the University Graduate School, leading a team of professional services staff who provide a portfolio of support services for postgraduate researchers. Prior to taking up her current post in 2015, Andrea was a Senior Lecturer in Sustainable Technologies and a Course Manager at Harper Adams University. In addition to managing taught modules and courses, Andrea supervised dissertation students, postgraduate researchers and early career researchers, whilst also leading consultancy and knowledge transfer projects.
This workshop will introduce you to various management techniques and leadership styles.
- gain a firm understanding of what leadership involves and the skills required
- have the opportunity to explore your own leadership preferences and abilities
- understand your leadership style and be able to talk about this in a job application or interview