PGR European Networking Fund - Call for Proposals
PGR European Networking Fund
Call for Proposals
Proposal Deadline: 12 noon, Tuesday 5th February 2019
We are delighted to launch a second call for proposals that specifically invites Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs) at the University of Birmingham to complete “European” activities at ‘The Europe Hub’ in Brussels. The Hub provides the ideal space to meet and network with people (e.g. other researchers, Brussels based institutions and employers) from across Europe and beyond.
Example activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Workshops or seminars
- Networking events
- Meetings with colleagues/stakeholders from across Europe
- Using the Hub as a base from which to work (e.g. to conduct meetings or interviews with contacts in Brussels and Europe)
- Public engagement activities
This is not an exhaustive list and we would be very happy to discuss ideas for projects with potential applicants.
Up to £1,000 per proposal is available, with an overall sum of £2,000 available through this call.
To apply for funding please complete the proposal form and return to Dr Andrea Patel using the email address A.C.Patel@bham.ac.uk.
How does it work?
Funding has kindly been provided by Research Support Services at the University of Birmingham, with the fund being administered through the University Graduate School (UGS).
Applications are open to all normally registered postgraduate researchers at the University to bid for a share of the fund to support activities at ‘The Europe Hub’ in Brussels.
PGRs wishing to apply must fill in the proposal form and provide written support for their proposal from their Lead Supervisor. This could be in the form of a letter or email.
As a general guide, up to £1,000 per proposal is available. However, higher amounts may be considered for exceptional proposals.
Proposals will be considered by a panel comprising:
- Dean of Postgraduate Studies
- Director of Postgraduate Research
- Head of European and International Research Support
- PGR Community Engagement Officer
- Head of the University Graduate School
The panels will meet in late-February 2019 to deliberate and applicants will be notified immediately as to whether their proposal has been successful.
All successful applicants will be required to provide a short evaluation report once activities have been completed and no later than the 31st August 2019.
To be considered for funding, your proposal must clearly demonstrate that it:
- Provides a benefit to your research, your personal development and/or your career aspirations.
- Is new and/or innovative.
- Cannot be funded in any other way.
- Has the support of your Lead Supervisor.
- All financial spend must be completed by 31 July 2019 (this includes submission of expenditure claims).
- Evaluation reports must be submitted to the University Graduate School by 31 August 2019.
Terms and conditions
- Only one application will be funded per PGR.
- All funding must be spent by 31 July 2019.
- Project report must be submitted by 31 August 2019.
Tuesday 22nd January – Call for proposals open
Friday 25th January, Westmere House, 12pm – 1pm – Drop-in session for PGRs to discuss their proposals with the Head of the University Graduate School. If you would like to discuss your proposal with Dr Andrea Patel at another time, please email A.C.Patel@bham.ac.uk
12 noon Tuesday 5th February 2019 – Closing deadline for proposals and supporting documents.
Week commencing 11th February 2019 – Panel meets and decisions made
Wednesday 31st July 2019 – Spending deadline. Funds must have been spent and expenditure claims made.
Saturday 31st August 2019 – Deadline for submission of evaluation reports.
How to apply
Please complete the proposal form and submit along with supporting documents (e.g. a letter or email confirming support from your Lead Supervisor) by 12 noon, Tuesday 5th February 2019.
When filling in your application please be advised to:
- Fully and realistically cost your project.
- Explain clearly how the money will be used.
- Show how you will measure its success.
- Ensure your Head of Lead Supervisor authorises the proposal.
Contact us: For advice and support for your proposal please contact Dr Andrea Patel, Head of the University Graduate School