Referring a student to ISAS

Why refer to ISAS?

You should always refer student immigration enquiries to ISAS. This is because the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) prohibits unregulated individuals from providing immigration advice. If you liaise with a student regarding their immigration, you are placing yourself at risk of committing a criminal offence. You are also placing the University at risk; so it is important that you refer students to the ISAS directly wherever it is reasonable and practical to do so.

ISAS also provide advice and guidance to international students, and staff working with international students, on a range of issues- not just immigration. You can refer students to ISAS for any issue affecting their life in the UK.

Making a referral

If you would like to refer a case to the ISAS you will need to do the following:

  • Ask the student for a copy of their current visa. If this is not available, ascertain the type of visa they hold, the start and the end date.
  • Contact us using our online enquiry system, making sure that you provide the team with full details of the student’s situation, including student ID number, course and level of study, and their contact details.

Alternatively, you can ask students to contact us directly.

Urgent enquiries

If you need to speak to us urgently, you can call reception on 0121 4148464.

Logo of the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

Certified by OISC

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) is responsible for regulating immigration advisers by ensuring they are fit and competent and act in the best interest of their clients. All ISAS advisers are certified by OISC.