The University is proud to be playing its part in building a better, greener future for us all and is committed to delivering the smartest, most sustainable campus in the world.
Cleaning and Waste Management Services plays a crucial role in achieving this and oversees many sustainable initiatives behind the scenes. Did you know that…
- In 2017, we became the first location outside of London to work with Bio-bean, an award-winning clean technology company that tuns waste coffee grounds into coffee logs and biofuels.
- We only use electric vehicles to take us around campus to help cut on-site emissions.
- So far, we’ve saved 73,488 kg of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere by using Warp It. This is the equivalent of panting 100 trees or taking 31 cars off the road
- We’ve saved £153,853 through our reusing schemes, freeing up money to be used for good on campus, rather than on buying unnecessary resources
- In 2022 alone, we collected 13,684.20 tonnes of sanitary waste to turn into energy. A whopping 8,894.73 kwh was generated, enough to boil a kettle 88,947.3 times!
We also work closely with the Guild of Students to encourage students to donate any unwanted items to charity at the end of the academic year and take part in our annual Bottle Amnesty.
Find out more about our sustainability efforts across the University.