Casual Worker FAQ's

How do I create an account online?

Complete your account and profile information online at the Worklink Website
f you have been sent a link to apply to a role you have already been offered, please ensure you have completed your onboarding tasks by following the link in your email.

I am getting an ‘authentication failed’ message when trying to log-in to my Core System account

Are you trying to login off campus? If so, you will need to register for the Remote Access Service.

If you have done this and are still getting this error message, this could be due to not selecting the correct login button. When logging in to the system, use the 'company single sign on' box and enter your adf log-in details when prompted. Further details are on the intranet.

How do I set up Remote Access?

View the video and step-by-step instructions of how to set up remote access.

Please note: if you require access to the system to submit timecards/view payslips and you will be off campus, you will need to have remote access enabled.

I am getting an error message when trying to access the system off-campus via remote access service

Please ensure that you have the “all internet activity” box ticked, and that you are accessing via use of google authenticator. Further details are on the intranet.

Where do I find my Core HR system username?

Once you have completed on boarding, you will receive an email from the Worklink team, which will detail your username. If you have previously worked in a casual role at the University from 1 August 2017, you can retrieve your username from IT Services. Once logged in to the Core HR system, your username can be viewed by clicking into the ‘Me’ Tab and Navigating to ‘Roles and Delegations’. Your username is present in the top left underneath your name.

How do I reset my password?

If you are logging into the system for the first time you will need to request a one-time passcode via the IT Service Desk. Once you have logged in for the first time you can reset your passcode via the usual mypasscode process. Details online.

Please note: you will need to register for this service on first use. 

Where do I enter my bank details?

You can enter your bank details in Core by navigating to the 'Me' Tab and selecting 'Personal Information'.  Click the 'Payroll' Tab on the Left hand side. In the right hand corner there is a little button that says 'Add' – you can add or change your details by clicking on this button.

How do I complete my timecards?

You must ensure that the status is showing as 'Submitted' and not 'Saved'.

We ask that you complete your timecard when you have worked all of your shifts for that week (The working week runs from Monday to Sunday). You must submit your timecard by 9am on the following Tuesday or you may not been paid on time.

For full details on creating a timecard please see our guidance for students and casual staff on creating timecards.

My timecards are showing a Project/Task, what does this mean?

f you are seeing the options to select 'Project', 'Task' rather than 'Assignment Number' and 'Time Type' then you are in the wrong 'HCM Group' in Core. A HCM group is essentially a pool that staff are assigned to in the system, for example Casual, Student, Employee, Estates. Each group allows you to see different options for the Time Type. For example Casual Students will see 'Start/Stop' Casual Time; Non-Student Casuals will see 'Quantity' Casual Time. To rectify this please get in touch with Worklink and we can assign you to the correct group.

When will I be paid?

Once you have submitted your timecards within the payroll deadlines, ou will be paid monthly, on the penultimate working day of the month. (With the exception of Bank Holidays and University Closed days where payments may be delayed.)

Please refer to the Payroll Deadlines document for a breakdown of pay dates  which weeks are paid in which month, deadlines and pay dates.

If you have a contract of employment with the University, your casual hours through Worklink will be paid to you along with your monthly salary.

Where do I view my payslip?

You can view your payslips in Core by navigating to the 'Me' Tab and selecting 'Personal Information'.  Click the 'My Documents' Tab on the Left hand side. Your payslips for each month will appear in here. Please note: that you will need to download your payslip(s) because you will lose access to the system once your assignment has ended.

I have paid National Insurance, why?

You will pay National Insurance if your earnings have gone over the National Insurance threshold for that week.

I do not have a National Insurance number, how can I get one?

Please call the National Insurance Number application helpline on 0800 141 2075 or visit the government website at:

How many hours can I work per week?

Please refer to the Working Hour Restrictions Table (PDF - 45KB)


How can I improve my applications?

Worklink hold cover letter workshops for students during term time. Please email to book an appointment.

I have a job interview and I am unsure of how to prepare. Can you help?

Worklink hold monthly Mock Interview Workshops for students in term time. Please email to find out more.



Professional Services