For some students moving away from home may mean a freedom to ‘be themselves’ by coming out as LGBTQ to their peers, and to establish an independent adult identity. This can be a very difficult time too. The LGBTQ Association works with the Guild of Students to consider the best ways to improve the facilities and environment for LGBTQ+ students.
When is the next meeting?
Contact Jane Tope to arrange a meeting on email@example.com
Who can attend?
This group is open to any LGBTQ+ student.
What is the group's purpose?
To help improve the services to LGBTQ+ students at the University. Some ideas include:
- develop an action plan which included advertising a 'safe' space to be open about sexuality using the Stonewall logo
- develop a mechanism to enable a choice for students in residences to be housed with other LGBTQ+ students
- ensure wardens in residences are trained in equality and diversity including dealing with homophobic incidents and making sure that students know about that
- create an LGBTQ+ student handbook
- develop and promote a public seminar series focused on LGBTQ+ issues
- to celebrate the successes of LGBTQ+ students
- to provide a social and support function and… any other purpose the group decides - have your say!