Student parents and carers

The University welcomes student parents and carers and recognises it is an exciting and challenging experience being a student parent or carer. This page brings together information on the support available to you.

If you are pregnant, please read the Student Maternity Guidance


 University nurseries

If you need a nursery place, you should contact the University nurseries as soon as possible, even before you've been offered a place at the University. The nurseries are a very popular provision and spaces can fill up months in advance.

Contact Birmingham City Council for information on local nurseries: or call 0121 303 3521

Please note that the University cannot recommend any local nurseries as we do not have personal experience of them.

The Guild of Students also run the Selly Oak play scheme on Sundays 11.00-13.00 free of charge. This scheme is run by CRB-checked volunteers:

 Funding for students with children

There are a number of additional sources of support available to students with children. You will need to apply specifically for these. Student Finance England (or your relevant SLC agency) will calculate your entitlement when you apply for your student loan and maintenance grant. These means of support are non-repayable and are paid in three installments from the Student Loans Company, along with you other statutory support payments.

  • Contact the Student Funding Office for more information

You may also be able to apply to the Access to Learning fund:

 Accommodation for families

The University offers a variety of options for students and staff with families. The range of accommodation on offer can be found on the Hospitality and Accommodation Services (HAS) website.

 Funding for students who are carers

If you need additional financial support you may be able to apply to the Access to Learning Fund:

The Student Funding Office can also provide information on the support available to you:

  • Contact the Student Funding Office

 Student Carers Association

The Student and Carers Association at the University is a social and action group to further the issues of and offer support to student parents and carers:



Professional Services