Useful Information

You can find useful information here around various subjects that affect PGR students in the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences, including information on scholarships and finance, school Canvas pages, accessibility to student letters/documents, wellbeing and the International Student Team.

Scholarships and Finance

A large number of PGR students in EPS receive a form of funding through one of a number of funding streams. The most common funding streams students receive scholarships/bursaries through are Research Councils (primarily EPSRC or STFC), their school or an industrial partner. It is useful to know your funding information when applying for extensions or leave of absences. Your school's PGR administrator will know your funding source.

Payments: If you do receive a scholarship, it is important to understand the way these payments are structured. All scholarship payments are paid through the University's Payroll department according to the payroll calendar. This means that all payments are paid a month in advance as the cut-off date for payment information is the mid-date of every month. For students who start at the beginning of a month, this usually means your first payment will be paid at the end of that month. So if you start on January 1st, your first payment will be at the end of January. Your school administrator will be involved in setting up your scholarship payments. Around the time you start, they will email you asking for bank details. These should be provided as soon as possible to prevent delays to payments.

If you have a missing or incorrect payment, you should contact your school's PGR administrator who can help resolve this.

EPSRC: If you are in receipt of an EPSRC scholarship, your payment information can be found by contacting your school's PGR administrator. Further information on EPSRC scholarships can also be found on the University Graduate School's FAQs.

Bench Fees: For some students in EPS, they will also receive bench fees which go towards paying for equipment, conference fees or other expenses related to your research. The exact figure of your bench fee is specified on your offer letter from Admissions. The organisation of your bench fee invoices (whether you or a sponsor is paying them) is done by your school's PGR administrator. To claim against your bench fees, you can either purchase things with them through New Core (which can be done by either your school's administrator or the Operations Hub) or through a non-staff expenses form (which can be found on the Finance A-Z forms list).

Canvas Pages

Every school in EPS has a Canvas page through which useful information can be found (such as your school's Student Handbook or assessment/progress review information). It is also where plagiarism checks are completed for any reports you complete as part of your school's assessment system, and where the plagiarism check is done for your PhD thesis. Below are the list of Canvas pages for each school in EPS:



Met & Mat


Computer Science


Chemical Engineering 1

Chemical Engineering 2

Access to your relevant school's Canvas page is controlled by your school's PGR administrator.

Student Letters

Letters for proof of registration or council tax reductions are sometimes required by a number of different organisations, from local councils looking for proof you are a student to employers or estate agents. For these types of letters, PGR students can request them through Verify and they are sent to you electronically. These letters cannot be produced by your school's administrator.

For letters that show your proof of funding, there are two ways of accessing these. If you are in receipt of a scholarship, you are normally sent a scholarship letter by your school's PGR administrator which details the yearly figure for your stipend payments and the period of time in which you will receive the scholarship. If a different funding letter is required with more specific funding information (i.e. the monthly stipend figure or the payment dates), this can be requested from your school's PGR administrator.

Welfare and Wellbeing Information

For issues relating to your welfare and/or wellbeing, you should go to your mentor or your school's Wellbeing Officer.

All PhD students should be assigned an academic mentor (or be able to contact a group of academic mentors) once they have registered. To find out who your academic mentor is, you should contact your school's PGR administrator.

The Wellbeing Office can provide support for any number of wellbeing issues that may come up during your degree programme, including mental health, disability or safety support. Further information on the services available can be found on the University's wellbeing page.

To find out who your school's Wellbeing Officer is and how to contact them, the University provides a list in each school.

International Student Team

For international PhD students, the International Student Team (IST) should be your main point of contact for anything regarding your visa and right-to-study. They are the only ones who can provide advice on this subject. The IST's contact information can be found on their Intranet site.

For students who hold a Student Route Visa, the University provides information on how to extend it, ATAS and progression for visa holders.


Professional Services