The 1940s old gymnasium will be converted into a 50% office and 50% teaching building to accommodate approximately 94 staff in open plan and 5 teaching spaces on the lower ground floor for 257 students.
The construction of the Old Gymnasium in 1939-41 followed the Physical Training and Recreation Act of 1937, promoted by the prime minister Neville Chamberlain as part of a drive to improve public health by integrating physical education into daily life. The construction of the building ceased during the Second World War. The glazed curtain wall extension will now complete the original vision for this building.
Construction Start Date: September 2017
Scheduled Completion: October 2018
Scheduled Occupation: December 2018
Lead Consultant: Associated Architects
Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Designers: ARUP
Cost Consultant: Robinson Low Francis
Principal Designer: Steve Barnsley Associates