The Research Governance team manages Sponsorship of research projects under the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research that sets out principles of good practice in the management of health and social care research in the UK.
The policy framework applies to health and social care research that involves NHS staff, patients, their carers or their data as well as to Adult Social Care and their clients. Research conducted under this policy requires a Sponsor that is an organisation that takes formal responsibility for ensuring the funding, ethics, quality and management of the research
The Research Governance Team is available to advise University of Birmingham staff and students on the ethics and governance requirements of studies of this nature:
- Pre-award at the time of grant writing;
- Post-award when funding is awarded;
- agreeing research governance sponsorship arrangements;
- advising on the need and process for ethical review;
- helping with indemnity provision;
- advising on the need and process for other regulatory approvals;
- providing relevant governance training for you and your team;
- ensuring standards that enhance research integrity.
Contacting the Research Governance Team
If you require information or guidance about research governance at the University of Birmingham, including information about university sponsorship, application to research ethics committees, and advice on regulatory requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. New enquiries should be forwarded to this address in the first instance.
To find out more about how to apply for UoB Sponsorship please go to: How to apply for UoB Sponsorship.
Members of the Research Governance Team can be contacted directly:
- Priyanka Batra, Research Governance Manager, Ext 47618. Email: email@example.com
- Jo Burns, Research Governance Officer, Ext 48165, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shahnaz Gill-Stokes, Research Governance Officer, Ext 49144, Email: S.Gill-Stokes@bham.ac.uk
- Harmeet Riat, Research Governance Coordinator, Ext 43698, Email: email@example.com