The University has a comprehensive Business Travel Policy for staff and students travelling abroad on business. Trips need to be registered online.
Travel Cover Key points:
Attached below is a copy of the Travel Cover Summary document and full policy wording. The following key points are drawn from the summary document produced by UMAL our cover providers -
- This is not private medical insurance. You are not covered for routine, non-emergency treatment, any elective treatment or anything that can reasonably wait until your return home.
- For minor ailments, you should seek advice from a local pharmacist in the first instance. If the condition does not resolve, or if it worsens, you can contact International Medical Group (IMG) for advice on the best course of action. There contact details are: Tel: +44 (0)2920 662425 E-mail: UMAL@global-response.co.uk Reference: UMAL/034
- Medical Expenses for treatment of Covid-19 are covered.
- Costs for Covid-19 tests are not covered, and there is no cover under the Disruption section for anything arising out of Covid-19.
- Any evidence required in support of a claim must be provided by you at your own expense.
- If travelling to a country that is subject to international sanctions you should check with your institution as to any special procedures that apply to ensure sanctions are not breached. We will not provide any cover or pay any claim that would expose us to any international sanctions.
- Claims must be notified to us as soon as possible but in any event within thirty days of the circumstances arising.
Travel cover summary
Full Policy wording
University Health and Safety Policy (UHSP/0/01) requires Head of Budget Centres to make arrangements for ensuring that risks to staff and students are properly identified and controlled. This requirement extends to staff and student whilst carrying out University activities when abroad on University business or University related activities. [more information]
Also running along side the main Travel policy, there is a Travel Legal Expenses Policy provided by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd. Details can be obtained from the Insurance office.
Travellers with medical conditions should bear in mind that there is an exclusion relating to travelling against medical advice. If in doubt you are advised to seek medical advice or contact the Insurance office.
Book your Travel Cover Online
For both students and staff, the insurance team comply with the University-wide data protection principles, further details of which can be found at the following link: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/privacy/index.aspx