Travel Bulletin

Medical Advice

Before embarking on a business trip abroad, travellers needing medical advice should consult either their own GP before travelling or visit Workplace Wellbeing where confidential advice can be sought from the Occupational Health team.The list of advisers together with their names and email addresses is shown on that site.  Please be aware that there is an exclusion under the policy in relation to any costs incurred if the trip is made against medical advice.  If in any doubt please contact

Travel Summary

All staff and students travelling on University of Birmingham business must register all trips in advance and take a copy of the travel summary cover with them Travel Cover Summary. This is an important document containing an overview of cover available under the policy as well as emergency contact details.

There are circumstances where travellers have been stranded abroad because they didn’t have proper insurance cover and we would not want any of our business travellers to be in that situation.

Terrorism cover still exists on our policy although there are large limits on the amounts payable

The University recommends that all intending travellers view the Foreign Office Website at and also the Control Risks Group Website paying particular attention to the information provided for the destination country(s) There is extremely useful information available here regarding customs, health, and entry requirements etc. Advice against travel to a particular country or parts of a country is given and this should be adhered to. If there are safety or security concerns then the trip should not be made as there is a possibility the travel insurance would be negated.

The Global Response site can be contacted:

There may well be the need to do a Risk Assessment before a trip is to be made and assistance with this can be obtained from the Health and Safety website ‘Travelling and Working Abroad’ document.


Professional Services