FIRE - call University Security on 44444 first. Do not dial 999 directly.
POLICE - call 999 and then alert Security on 44444.
AMBULANCE - call 999 and then alert Security on 44444. Security will NOT call an ambulance on your behalf.
All staff should be in possession of the "Security and Emergencies: Advice for Staff" aide memoire card. If you do not have one, please contact Security or your HR Manager.
If you find yourself in an emergency situation on campus such as fire, major accident or other incident where there might be casualties :
- Telephone the relevant emergency services on 999 or 112 from a mobile and/or the 24 hour Security Control on 44444 (0121 414 4444).
- Look after yourself first. Don't become a casualty. You can't help anyone if you also need help.
- When summoning help; use METHANE :
- MAKE an assessment of the situation.
- EXACT location of the emergency.
- TYPE of emergency.
- HAZARDS of the scene.
- ACCESS to the scene.
- NUMBER of casualties.
- EMERGENCY SERVICE required.
- Don't leave a casualty unattended unless you are at personal risk.
- If safe, remain at the scene to meet Security or Emergency Services. Reassure casualties.
- If the area is unsafe withdraw to a safe distance and await the Emergency Services.
- Provide first aid if trained or summon a first aider.
- Keep your phone switched on, but don't make unnecessary calls.
- Follow any advice given by Security or the Emergency Services.
- Make sure you are familiar with your fire exit routes and the location of your assembly points.
Too many people at an emergency scene can impede recovery operations. Persons not able to continue with business or are not required for recovery operations must either be sent home or directed to a suitable meeting point to await further news. Before sending any persons home it must first be established whether they will be required by the Emergency Services as witnesses, or whether they will represent a hazard elsewhere e.g. in the event of contamination. Clearly, injured or traumatised persons must not be sent away.
In Case of Emergency (ICE)
If you are involved in an accident, the Emergency Services may check your mobile phone to see if there is anyone they can contact on your behalf. You can help them by designating a phone number as ICE (in case of emergency). This is a person you would want to be contacted if anything happened to you e.g. 'ICE Mum'. You can add other contacts such as 'ICE2 Dad' etc.
Emergency Telephone Points
At various points around the campus there are Emergency Telephone Points which can be used to contact Security Control immediately. These are located at :
- Elms Road, outside the Computer Centre
- South West Campus, outside the Terrace Huts
- The pedestrian exit of the South Car Park
- University Square, outside the Arts Building
- Outside the Old Gym
- South West Campus, outside Grounds and Gardens
- The west side of the Main Library
- Between the Watson and Poynting Buildings