Whether you are living in University Student Accomodation or out in the Community, follow these tips to protect your home:
- Keep your windows and doors locked! Intelligence from the Neighbourhood Policing Team, Selly Oak states that the vast majority of burglaries are via insecure front or back doors or windows. Don’t allow thieves to easily enter your home.
- Set up a system with your housemates to ensure the doors are locked- don’t assume someone else has done it! Thefts have also occurred while residents have been in.
- In student accommodation do not prop open your front doors. It may seem like a good idea on a social level to leave doors open to allow free movement from flat to flat however this makes you vulnerable to theft and unwanted visitors.
- Proactive accommodation patrols occur during the year to test for insecure front doors and warn students of the risks. At times we find flats insecure, and nobody is home.
- If you are concerned about strangers in your accommodation, politely challenge them or call Security - 0121 414 3000 (43000 if dialling internally).
- Make sure you are fully aware of the rules and regulations that apply to your tenancy, both on campus and in the community.
- Guild advice provides comprehensive advice on seeking accommodation and understanding tenancies, deposits, your rights and responsibilities etc.
- The community warden’s page has more information on Selly Oak.
- Watch our UB Safe video which highlights the importance of locking up when in Student Accomodation.