The University of Birmingham has a very low crime rate and is a safe place to work study and live. We do however receive a small number of reports of opportunistic theft occurring on campus. Thefts can and have occurred in a matter of seconds (while using the printer, grabbing a drink etc.). Please follow the following advice:
- Remain vigilant with your property and never leave valuables unattended, for any amount of time. Take them with you or secure them out of sight.
- Ensure valuables are insured and have a tracker capability e.g. - find my iPhone. This will increase chances of recovering property.
- You can register your items for free with immobolise (The UK national property register).
- Ensure you routinely back up your work; we have had a case in the past of whole thesis’s being lost along with the laptop…
- Be wary of your surroundings, avoid walking and staring at your phone, or having music playing too loud in headphones.
- Be aware of any suspicious activity/ persons, and contact Security Services 0121 414 3000 (43000 if dialling internally). Even if it amounts to nothing it’s important to let us know so we can check it out.
- If you are a victim of crime then please contact Security and West Midlands Police
Watch our UB Safe video to see how easy it can be for someone to steal your property.