Core Systems is now live!
An icon should now be on the desktop of your University computer.
You can also access Core Systems by going to
For support on using Core Systems, please
visit canvas for e-learning and step by step guides.
Pages within this HR area will have details about when you need to use Core Systems to undertake tasks and links to support material
Work experience placements
Schools/departments within the University of Birmingham may be asked from time to time to provide young people with work experience.
The aim of providing work placements is to:
- Provide young people with an understanding of the world of work
- Assist young people in deciding what type of career they might want in the future
- Improve the personal development of young people
- Improve the key skills and employability of young people
- Strengthen links between the University, schools and the local community
Placements are organised directly with Schools/Budget Centres, and not centrally through Human Resources.
The Guidance on work experience placements provides information to help those managing the process, including legal requirements and practical aspects of having young people in a work environment.
Health and safety guidance on work experience placements
Safeguarding children and young people within the University
Template work experience letter
If you need to find out more about the information on this page, or require additional support, please get in touch with us via the HR Service Portal
Something wrong with this page?
If you notice something wrong with this page (including broken links), please contact us here