We expect to  progress HR work from Monday 28th January as staff are gaining access to previous HR systems this week.
Please be aware there may be a delay when contacting HR whilst access is restored.
Any payroll critical activity will need to have been received by the HR Operations and Recruitment team by 9am Friday 1st February .

Find out more


Government help with childcare 
The government help you can get paying with childcare costs is outlined on GOV.UK at

Childcare salary sacrifice schemes (childcare vouchers Care-4 and workplace nurseries) 
The following childcare salary sacrifice schemes are closed to new applicants: 

  • childcare vouchers
  • workplace nursery salary sacrifice scheme (known as ‘directly contracted childcare’)

If you joined one of these schemes on or before 4 October 2018 you might be able to keep getting vouchers or directly contracted childcare, providing you meet the government rules. More information is available at

If you get government Tax-Free Childcare, you cannot continue to claim childcare vouchers or directly contracted childcare. 

Whether you are better off with childcare salary sacrifice (childcare vouchers or workplace nursery scheme/directly contracted childcare) or the Government’s Tax Free Childcare scheme depends on your situation. Use the on line childcare calculator to work out which type of support is best for you.

If you are in a childcare salary sacrifice scheme and get Tax Free Childcare, you must inform the University of Birmingham’s Finance Payroll Office within 90 days. Email, Betty Szozda, 0121 414 3090 

University of Birmingham Day Nurseries

Please visit for information on childcare at the University including fees. 

Related links

Parents and carers' resources (information on maternity, paternity/partner and adoption leave, shared parental leave and flexible working)

Nurseries (on external University website)

Flexible working

Family leave guidance

Kids camps

Parents and Carers network


If you need to find out more about the information on this page, or require additional support, please get in touch with us via the HR Service Portal

Something wrong with this page?

If you notice something wrong with this page (including broken links), please contact us here