Sources of advice and support

In most instances, the first point of contact for your query should be the Ask HR team. If they cannot answer your query directly, they will usually be able to put you in touch with the appropriate person, or get back to you with the information.

Sometimes, you may wish to get help from another source such as a trade union, Citizens Advice or a harassment adviser.

Harassment advisers

If you are involved in a case of harassment in any way, harassment advisers will be able to give you help and advice.

Citizens Advice (previously Citizens Advice Bureau)

Citizens Advice is available on campus every Wednesday morning to offer free, confidential and independent advice on a range of matters such as debt, benefits, housing, legal, discrimination, employment, immigration, consumer and other problems.

Trade unions

Trade unions are able to give advice and information to their members about their rights in employment-related situations. For the purposes of collective bargaining (negotiating terms and conditions, pay increases etc), the University recognises UCU for academic and related staff, and Unite, Unison and GMB for support staff.

For individual representation, for example during a disciplinary investigation or attendance management procedure, you may be accompanied by a representative of any union of your choice. The local branch of your union should be able to put you in touch with a representative.

University and College Union (UCU)

Call 414 6895 or visit the Birmingham UCU website for more information. 


Contact one of the following for information or advice: 

John Cochrane (Branch Secretary)

Terry Green (JTUC & JSAC rep.)
t: 414 4365/internal 44365



To contact Unison, either:

Matt Raine


Lee Crutchley

t: 414 7622/internal 47622



To contact GMB, either:

Jeff Smith


Russell Farrington (Regional Office)

t: 0121 550 4888


Tell us what you think...

...we want to hear from you

Tell us about your experience of using our new intranet pages. Did you find what you were looking for? Have you learnt something new today? Or do you wish we could improve your intranet experience?

Developing these intranet pages will be ongoing and, if you share your view and ideas, it will help us to continue to improve this important resource for the benefit of the entire University community.

We also welcome your comments on university internal communications in general. Email the team or pick up the phone 0121 414 6680. You can also tweet us. Whichever way you decide to get in touch we look forward to hearing what you have to say.

If you have a technical question you can contact our IT colleagues as they are much better at that stuff than we are!