Shaking up the IT Services intranet pages
Overhauling the IT Services intranet pages has been on our radar for a while now.
Our colleagues in Strategic Change helped out with the huge task of running analytics on all of the IT Services pages. They provided us with page usage data and site maps which have helped us to analyse the figures; this will be really useful in helping us decide what to focus on next.
- 1,004 pages on the IT intranet in total.
- 521 of these pages are not navigable. They can only be found by searching or via the right-hand menu - including some very high usage pages.
- Lack of consistency: some pages have a single FAQ on them; others have many paragraphs, full of links.
- User navigation is confused as it doesn't relate to the underlying structure.
- The copy (text) on many pages seems to have been pasted from existing documents - it wasn't written for an intranet audience (this issue is not unique to IT Services!).
The next step is for us to pick out what information our customers are accessing via our intranet pages, and how we can make this easier and more intuitive for them.
This is a big project, so it'll be a work in progress for a while. We'll let you know how we're getting on. Watch this space!