Microsoft 365 - Moving staff from Skype to Teams
Microsoft are phasing out Skype for Business. All Skype functionality is available within the Microsoft 365 (M365) environment, accessible now to all staff via Microsoft Teams. IT Services are preparing to move all staff conversations to Teams automatically in order that we are ready for Microsoft to phase out the Skype for Business service. All students already have access to Teams only, not Skype for Business.
Moving everything to Teams means staff can benefit from a wide range of features designed to support workplace collaboration and enhance communication, which are not available in Skype. It also provides an additional, important level of security for our IT systems through Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), which is required to access Teams. MFA helps us keep our data safe.
What will happen
- IT Services will provide communications regarding the impending switch, which we will share via the University Briefing email, College and Professional Services communication staff, and publish via the IT Status Page and Service Desk Portal.
- Skype now displays an automatic message, which reads 'Skype for Business will be upgraded to Microsoft Teams. Try It.'
- From Wednesday 31 March, all Skype activity including calls, chat messages, video calls, meetings etc. will automatically transfer to Teams. You will no longer be able to use Skype for Business.
What staff need to do
- If you’re already using Teams, you don't need to do anything.
- If you’re not yet using Teams, please register for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) by the end of March to ensure you can login to M365 and are therefore ready to use Teams.
- Find out how to use MFA using the guidance provided in our IT Knowledge Base article KB14979.
- We also ran an ITS GO Online workshop on using MFA, you can watch a recording of that session on LinkedIn Learning, which is free for all staff to use (login required with your University email address and password).
- If you have future meetings booked through Skype, please transfer them to Teams. To do that, open the meeting in Outlook, click the Teams Meeting button from the menu and resend the invite. Meetings will not automatically transfer from Skype.
- If you use Skype for phone calls and chats with external users, you can still do that in Teams after the automatic transfer happens on 31 March.
- If there is any identified requirement to continue using Skype for Business for the time being, please let us know via this form (login required).
How to find help and support
- The Microsoft 365 (M365) Hub site provides the Guidelines for Use, as well as many training videos on using Teams and other available tools in the M365 environment such as Forms, Delve and OneDrive. You must login using MFA to access this resource.
- Visit the IT Service Desk Portal Knowledge Base article KB13954 or contact the IT Service Desk at http://itservicedesk.bham.ac.uk/