Ideas Lab is an innovative new project funded through the Higher Education Innovation Fund. Ideas Lab help TV, radio and multimedia producers find and use the latest research, facilities and expertise in their programmes and web sites. In addition, they provide academics at the University of Birmingham with the contacts and know-how they need to reach audiences with the fruits of their research. One of the great examples is Professor Janice Thompson’s (College of Life and Environmental Sciences) appearance on BBC’s “Trust me I’m a Doctor”.
Here are some of the areas the Ideas Lab can support you with:
- Give you ideas and useful contacts for knowledge transfer (KT) and public engagement projects.
- Represent your research to radio, TV and multimedia producers who may wish to feature it in their programmes.
- Advise you in any dealings with production companies, particularly if you are approached by producers for help developing a programme idea or asked to participate in filming as an interviewee.
- Help you apply for media-related funding and fellowships.
- Provide advice when you are commissioning a company to produce a video or a short film for you, and make sure you get value for money.
- Screen test you if you’re interested in TV presenting, and help you come across at your best.
For more information get in contact with the Ideas Lab team.