2017 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 14th University Teaching and Learning Conference took place on Tuesday 4th July in the Haworth Building and Murray Learning Centre on the Edgbaston Campus.
The Conference theme was 'Research-Intensive Teaching at the University of Birmingham', and it set out to describe and examine what research-intensive teaching means, how teachers can embed research into teaching and learning, and how excellence in teaching can be achieved at a research-intensive university.
- ‘Teaching Excellence in a Research-Intensive University’ Professor Kathy Armour PVC (Education)
- 'Cultivating Student Expectations of Research-informed Teaching’ Professor Mike McLinden (School of Education)
- 'Institutional and college strategies to engaging students as partners in research and inquiry' Professor Mick Healey
- This year also saw the return of the popular ‘Lightning Session’, where colleagues delivered 2-minute presentations in quick succession.
Recordings, photos and resources from the day, including the programme, can be found on the Teaching and Learning Conference 2017 Canvas page.
2016 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 13th University Teaching and Learning Conference, 'Developing the Birmingham Graduate' was held in June 2016. For more information including details of the programme and the panoptos of the presentations, go to the Teaching and Learning Conference 2016 canvas page. The programme is here.
2015 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 12th University Teaching and Learning Conference took place on Tuesday 23 June 2015 in Muirhead Tower on the Edgbaston Campus. This is the University’s annual event to celebrate, showcase and disseminate the wealth of good practices in teaching and learning across the University.
The main conference theme was The Student Experience, and the day featured invited contributions from pioneering academics both within and beyond the University. The topics and speakers were:
- Student engagement and collaboration: Dan Derricott, from Lincoln University, the CAL Student Experience Team, and Dr Graham Timmins (CoSS).
- Inclusive curriculum: Dr Helen May from the Higher Education Academy, Dr Karl Nightingale (MDS) and Drs Nicola Gale and Nicki Ward (CoSS).
- Personalised learning and learning analytics: Dr Bart Rientes from the Open University.
There were open presentation and poster sessions for colleagues and students to share their own educational innovations in any field, as well as plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate about the issues raised.
2014 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 11th University Teaching and Learning Conference took place on Friday 4 July 2014 in Muirhead Tower on the Edgbaston Campus.
The conference theme was Educational Innovation, and the day featured invited contributions from pioneering academics both within and beyond the University on topics including:
- The Virtual Laboratory (Keynote speaker: Dr Gus Cameron, University of Bristol),
- International and Distance Learning (Keynote speaker: Holly Shiflett, Deltak Wiley),
- Student-Owned Learning (Keynote speaker: Dr Samantha Pugh, University of Leeds).
There were also open presentation and poster sessions for colleagues and students to share their own educational innovations in any field, as well as plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate about the issues raised.
You can still look at the conference brochure (PDF - 1,988KB). The majority of the presentations, including breakout sessions on the day (excluding those held in Room 118) were recorded using Panopto and are available to view via the Conference Canvas course. If you haven’t already enrolled on the Canvas course, you can do so there (the email it requests is just your normal adf username). The Conference Course should appear in your Course listing within Canvas.
2013 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 2013 Teaching and Learning Conference was held over two days, Monday 24 and Tuesday 25 June 2013. It was primarily located in the newly refurbished Learning Centre, with keynote addresses occurring in Haworth 101 and Mechanical Engineering G31.
The event explored tangible outputs from the Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) theme and the implementation of a new Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
Speakers included: Dr. Simon Bates (University of British Columbia, Vancouver), Devlin Daley (Instructure, Canvas) and Professor Richard Noss (London Knowledge Lab.
2012 Teaching and Learning Conference
The 2012 Teaching and Learning Conference was held over three days, Monday 25 to Wednesday 27 June 2012, in the Muirhead Tower on the Edgbaston Campus.
The theme was "curriculum development: inspiring learning", and the sub themes were:
- Technology enhanced learning
- Entrepreneurship and employability
- Assessment, feedback and attainment: efficiency and effectiveness in assessment
- Revitalising programmes and modules
This year's keynote speaker was Professor Debra Humphris of the University of Southampton who spoke on the final day about curriculum innovation: choice and flexibility.
You can read the teaching & learning conference brochure (PDF - 1MB) and view the recorded sessions online.