Community support

Community Living are moving to a remote service during restricted campus opening, which means that the Community Living Hub and Community Living Services in University Centre are moving online.

Community Living will still be able to provide support for contract checking, community advice, and general support and help via email, Skype or phone call. Email Community Living to get in touch, or use the 'Get in touch' form to request a call back.


Claire Bent

Community Engagement Manager

“Wonderful Selly Student Community. We realise that these are unprecedented times and that life is very chaotic and uncertain right now, and so we wanted to touch base with some helpful links for you in case you need them.”


Self-isolating in Selly Oak

Are you self-isolating in Selly Oak or the local area, and need help and support?

Make sure you have checked the NHS 111 advice on what actions you should be taking.

If you need practical help and support, then the Selly Oak Community Response to COVID-19 student group on Facebook are active in linking up people who need support with those who are able to provide it. 

Issues with landlords or letting agents

Do you have issues with your landlords or lettings agents, and need help in working out how to handle that? All of the usual information is available on the Community Living website. If you cannot find what you need, or want a bit more help, email Community Living and one of the team will respond to you.

General wellbeing and support

It is important to look after yourselves during this time - physically, psychologically, and emotionally. Claire, Jackie and the Community Living family suggest:


Professional Services