University Christmas Closed Period 2020

The University of Birmingham will close many of its services for the vacation period at the end of Friday 18 December 2020 until Monday 4 January 2021. 

The International Student Team will be closed from 18th December until 4th January 2021 and will not be available to respond to queries during this time.   The following is provided to help deal with some issues that might arise.

1.       Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card collection

If you are planning to collect your BRP CARD from the University of Birmingham on or after 18 December 2020 you will need to wait until the University re-opens in January as we will not be providing BRP Collection Service during this University vacation.

If you received an email from us stating that “your BRP card is ready for collection”, you can book your appointment with us, as per our instructions in the email, at any time after 4 January 2021. Please note, if you need to self-isolate because you have visited or made a transit stop in a country that is not on the travel corridor list, please ensure that you book your appointment after completion of the required self-isolation period.

As the University will be closed from 21 December 2020 and will re-open on Monday 4 January 2021, the delay in collecting your BRP will not affect your Right to Study.

2.       What do I do if I have lost my BRP card/passport inside the UK?

Please follow the online guidance if you have lost your BRP card or passport whilst in the UK.

3.       COVID-19 Self-isolation - who must self-isolate

You must check the exempt list and if you are not exempt you must self-isolate.

The UK government has set these rules, which are for UK residents and all visitors coming into the UK.  If you are required to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK, then you will not be allowed to leave the place where you’re staying for the duration of your self-isolation. 

Further information is also available on the University webpage which includes information on the support the University has put in place including food essentials, your wellbeing and self-isolation rules.

4.       What to do if you need immigration advice/info:

If you would like immigration advice then you will need to log an enquiry online via You will need to click on the “Visa and Immigration” tab and then click on the “contact us” tab to complete the online form. Please note any enquiries submitted during the Christmas vacation period will be dealt with when the University re-opens from 4th January 2021 onwards.

You can also find further information on our dedicated immigration page .



Professional Services