A safer home
Many of you may be travelling away during the festive period and we want to ensure your home and valuables stay secure.
Read our top tips on home security:
- When you leave your house ensure all windows and doors are locked.
- Leave a light on when you leave the house so it appears as though someone is in.
- Do not leave your personal belongings on display.
- Never leave a spare key lying around even if you know a housemate is returning soon.
- If you see anyone looking suspicious, report it to police or University security.
- Use a UV pen to mark your valuables with your address.
- Use tracking apps in case your things get lost or stolen so you can get them back.
- Do not leave your property unattended, particularly mobile phones and laptops.
- Try to carry your laptop in a shopping bag or a rucksack when travelling alone as a laptop bag will draw attention to it.
- If you are away from your term time accommodation during the Christmas period take your personal items with you and check your home is secure before leaving.
There are also a series of UB Safe videos providing tips and advice to stay safe at university from cyber security to cycle safety.
For emergency help on campus or in University accommodation dial 44444 from an internal phone or 0121 414 4444 from any phone. The University’s Security Team are available 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
Campus Police Officer
West Midlands Police hold a drop in session at the Police Room in University Centre (close to Spar). The session takes place every Wednesday (12.00-3.00pm) and the Campus Liaison Officer will be available for general advice, including any issues relating to Crime Prevention.
West Midlands Police also provide additional guidance on their Safer Students website.
Remember - call 999 in an emergency and 101 to report a non-urgent crime.