Students affected by international news

Students affected by recent events may need somewhere to go where they can feel supported, where they can find someone to talk to or where they can reflect quietly.

University Support Services

The University provides its students with a number of support services where help or solace can be found:

  • you can talk to your Welfare Tutor in your School
  • you can contact Counselling Services and speak confidentially to a counsellor. Telephone 0121 414 5130 or for more information go to the University's Counselling website
  • you can contact the International Students’ Advisory Service by telephoning 0121 414 8464 or visiting the International Students' Advisory Service website
  • you can contact the Chaplaincy where you can speak confidentially to a chaplain, find some quiet space to reflect and ask for prayers. Telephone 0121 414 7000 / 7001 or visit the Chaplaincy website
  • you can contact Guild Advice at the Guild of Students. Telephone 0121 251 2400, or email

Alternative Support

You can also access support from the following:

  • your GP
  • University of Birmingham's Self Help Guides
  • Samaritans - 116 123 (free-to-call number)
  • Students travelling for personal purposes should refer to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) web pages for information
  • If you wish to contact your Embassy, see Diplomatic Posts (your embassy) in the UK


Professional Services