If you lose your BRP outside the UK
You should try and keep important documents like your passport and BRP safe whilst travelling abroad. However in the unlikely event that this goes missing you need to do the following:
- Report the loss of your passport / BRP to the police and obtain a police report (translated into English)
- Report the loss of your passport to your country embassy, to get a replacement passport
- Report the loss of your BRP online to UKVI using their form.
- Once you have received your new passport you will need to apply online for a single entry visa which replaces your old BRP. The current cost for this is £189 and can only be used once within a one month period.
- When completing the online form you should select the following:
- Reason for visit: Other
- Visa Type: Others
- Visa Sub type: Replacement Biometric Residence Permit
As part of the application process you need to ensure you provide your passport, police report (translated into English) as evidence that your BRP has been reported as lost or stolen.
Important note: Once you have used the single entry visa to enter the UK, you will need to inform the University of Birmingham, Student Hub.
In addition to this you also need to apply for a BRP Replacement within 1 month of your return to the UK, failure to do this may result in a financial penalty of up to £1000 or curtailment of leave to remain.
Thank you. We are glad this answered your question