Talk to someone

To speak to a trained Responder we would advise you to use our online disclosure form.  You will be asked for your contact information and a Responder will contact you by the end of the next working day to arrange a virtual appointment, using Skype for Business, Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Prior to the appointment you will be sent further information about what to expect. Please let us know if you have any concerns about virtual appointments, especially if you do not feel safe speaking to your Responder online - we will make alternative arrangements (in line with Covid-19 guidance) and offer as much flexibility as is currently possible. 

During the appointment the Responder will be able to provide information about all the options available to you, support you with managing your safety, signpost to specialist services and support you if you decide to report to the Police or make a formal complaint to the University about another student.

During your appointment you will have the opportunity to talk through the incident in as much or as little detail as you wish. The decision to talk about your experience is a personal choice, you do not have to share your experience with anyone until you feel ready.

Staff within the University can submit a disclosure on your behalf: this may be your Wellbeing Officer or Personal Tutor, or staff within Student Accommodation or Security Services. They will make sure they have your permission before they submit any personal information on your behalf.

Disclaimer: this video was recorded pre-COVID-19 therefore some changes have been made to the way we conduct appointments

Our online disclosure form


We understand that confidentiality and privacy is important and if you choose to speak to a Responder we will aim to offer a confidential service. However, with all confidential services, there are some limits to the confidentiality that can be guaranteed. It may be necessary to disclose information about you in order to protect you or other people from risk or serious harm.  We will always ask for your consent in situations where there is no immediate concern to your safety or the safety of others. In some cases sharing information with other agencies will allow us to respond more effectively and provide the best possible level of care.  To find out how we will use and store any personal data you share with us, in compliance with GDPR, please read our privacy statements.

If you want to contact a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

Horizon SARC is an organisation that provides support and advice to people who have experienced rape or sexual assault. They have a team of specially trained and dedicated crisis workers who understand how difficult it can be to talk about the impact of rape and sexual assault. Horizon can offer you help regardless of whether or not you want to report what has happened to the Police.

You can call Horizon on 0800 970 0375.

Even if you are not currently thinking about reporting to the police, Horizon SARC can offer the option to store forensic evidence, which could later be used in an investigation. If you wish, they can keep DNA results on record and let you know if the is a match with other reported assaults, still with no obligation on you to report. 

With your consent, staff from SARC can share details of the incident, such as location of assault and a description of perpetrator, with the police. This can be done anonymously or with your details, but no action will be taken without your full, prior consent. Sharing of this sort of information can help the police to identify trends in assault and may help prevent future incidents.


Non recent assaults

If you wish to disclose details of sexual violence which happened before you came to the University, we can support you in accessing wellbeing support, reporting to the police or Horizon SARC. You can use our disclosure tool or register directly with the Mental Health and Wellbeing Service.



Professional Services