Making a one-to-one appointment
We offer confidential individual appointments for undergraduates, postgraduate taught and MRes students (for writing skills). Book using the form at the bottom of the page.
If you are a Birmingham Scholar, please use the booking form on your Canvas course.
Appointments are available throughout the academic year from Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00 UK time, with a reduced service outside of term time. We can offer you four appointments per academic year. Please note that direct emails to ASC staff, especially if they involve lengthy queries such as detailed referencing or literature searching points, may count towards your four appointments.
- study strategies
- searching for high quality sources for your assignments
- writing skills
- understanding and building on feedback. For more help with understanding and acting on feedback, see our Canvas course.
We can only read one paragraph of work that has not yet been submitted or assessed.
We can look at an assignment plan and discuss your general approach to the piece of work. We can also discuss your search strategy for locating relevant information and resources.
If you send us work that has already been assessed, with your tutor’s feedback, we can read the marked assignment and help you to reflect on the feedback you’ve received and how you can build on it in the future.
- We are here to develop your skills rather than check your work.
- Please note that we do not provide a proofreading service and are unable to read whole drafts before they have been handed in.
- If you need help with finding information, we cannot provide a final, definitive literature search strategy.
- We are unable to provide guidance on or check the accuracy of solutions or the appropriateness of content
- We are also unable to provide comments or support on work being submitted for online assessment. For support in preparing for online assessment, see the Assessment Support Hub.
- We cannot offer any opinion on any mark that you might receive for your written work
- We cannot become involved in decisions relating to academic regulations, such as extenuating circumstances
- We will not discuss any confidential details of issues you share with us with tutors or anyone else, without your written consent
- English language support for international students can be accessed through the Birmingham International Academy
- By attending Academic Skills Centre activities, you show that you are making a commitment to developing yourself as a learner, and engaging with our activities. This means that you will commit to attending sessions and informing us if you cannot attend for unforeseen reasons. Where possible, we require a minimum of 24 hours notice so that we can allocate your appointment to another student. You can contact us on email@example.com.
- You may find it useful to prepare for your appointment in advance. This could include reviewing feedback you have received, forming a list of questions or areas that you would like to discuss in your appointment. If you would like a paragraph of writing or a search strategy to be reviewed, it can be helpful to send this to the advisor in advance.
How soon you will have an appointment
We get very busy during term-time, so we recommend booking in advance, especially if you need help with a particular assignment.
Please provide at least three possible appointment times in the form below and choose one primary skill need eg. writing skills, referencing, or note-taking.
Please note that during busy periods, your appointment slot may be offered to another student if we don’t hear back from you within 48 hours.
Any forms submitted after 16:00 on a Friday will not be looked at until the following Monday.
If you wish to submit more information in addition to your form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also access advice at our weekly online drop-in on a Wednesday afternoon (14:00-15:00) during term time. It is designed as a place to receive quick advice relating to academic skills. Enrol on our canvas course to access the Zoom link. Please note that this term we are alternating between offering advice on research and writing skills. Do check the schedule for what is being covered each week
Attending your appointment
If you are attending an online appointment, you will receive a Zoom link to your University email address on the morning of the appointment.
If you are attending an in-person appointment, these will be held in the appointment rooms on the first floor of the Main Library (Edgbaston Campus). A location map will be sent to your University email address in advance of the appointment.
If you are a student in Dubai, please use the form on your Dubai Library pages. Appointments are available Monday to Friday 10.00-16.00 UK time (14:00 to 20:00 Dubai time) via Zoom. Please book five working days in advance wherever possible. Due to demand for the service it is important to plan appointments in advance.
Appointments are available Monday to Friday 09:00 to 12:00 UK time (17:00 to 21:00 Singapore time) via Zoom. Please book five working days in advance wherever possible. Due to demand for the service it is important to plan appointments in advance.
If you are a postgraduate research student (i.e. MRes or PhD), contact our Research Skills team, although we provide writing skills support for MRes students.
What our students say about us
Students can provide anonymous feedback about the support they’ve received during an appointment. Here’s a taster of what students have said about our 1-1s:
“I felt so empowered to go ahead and start putting the skills she suggested into practice”
“It made me feel a lot more positive and confident about my academic skills moving forward and I would definitely recommend the academic skills centre to anyone.”
“He was brilliant and talked me through referencing which increased my confidence and decreased my stress.”
“He really listened to what I had to say and provided me with numerous resources that I can use post-session.”
If you’d like to provide us with feedback after your appointment, please do fill in our form.
The data collected on this form will be processed in accordance with our Data Protection Policy. Please contact Library Services if you have any queries or need to change or amend your details.