The ERA licence allows staff and students to use and record media broadcasts (TV and radio) for educational purposes. They can be shown to a class, embedded in PowerPoint, or hosted on Canvas. The ERA licence cannot be applied outside the UK.
The programmes covered are from the following broadcasters:
- all BBC television and radio programmes, including programmes owned by the Open University and iPlayer
- all ITV and ITV Player programmes
- all Channel 4 and All 4 programmes
- all 5 Television and On Demand 5 programmes
- National Geographic programmes
- Discovery Channel programmes
The University also subscribes to Learning on Screen, a streaming service which offers archive programmes from the above providers and more, and can be added to ResourceLists where required. These programmes are available for staff and students as long as their use is educational and happens within the UK.
Films can also be played for the purposes of instruction provided that the audience is only staff or students and it is for educational purposes.
If you intend to show a programme to members of the public or to students outside of class time for recreational purposes, i.e. as a film club or public event held by the University, you will need to purchase a Film Bank licence.