You can access Kortext ebooks from your resource list or from FindIt@Bham, or you can go to Kortext directly.
If you go straight to Kortext, choose "University of Birmingham" from the dropdown of institutions and click the arrow. You will be taken to the University's sign in page. Enter your login details, accept the terms and conditions, and you will be taken to our Kortext library. NB: If you have not used Kortext before you will be prompted to register the first time you access a book from Kortext. Please enter your University email address and create a password for a Kortext account. You will then be able to view your bookshelf from any device.
All you need to do to start reading is click on the cover of the book you want. You can also search the institutional collection, to see what books are available under our subscription.
Navigating through the book
Navigation tools are at the bottom of the page of the book. If you're jumping multiple pages, there’s an option to go back to the previous page by clicking on Return to page at the bottom left corner. Alternatively, type in the number of the page you want to jump to.
To add a Bookmark in the book you're reading, click on the bookmark icon, which you'll find just before the navigation slide bar at the bottom of the screen. It's a small rectangle with a notch taken out at the bottom.
You can search across all of our books, and view your in-book results from the bookshelf search. This will take you to the given location in the book. In-book search results will be listed at the top, followed by title results if applicable. On selecting a title to view, all search results will appear in a pop-up window.
Highlight and create notes
1. To highlight, drag across a section of text and a pop-up will appear with some colour options.
2. To add a note, select Create note from the same pop-up window and type in your note.
3. To type in your note, use the provided field in the pop-up.
4. To copy the selected text, click Copy Text from the pop-up menu.
5. From the same menu, you can also Export a reference to RefWorks and EndNote.
6. To find content on the internet, highlight the text and click Search the Web, which opens up a new window with the selected text appearing in the search bar.
7. To share a note with a group, via email or OneNote, use the icons at the bottom left corner of the pop-up window.
8. You can access all your saved notes from the menu panel on the left. From there you can also delete notes or share them via email.
When you're reading a book, the menu panel on the left hand side of the page allows you to:
- Search for keywords and terms within the book
- Access the table of contents
- Print pages
- Access and edit bookmarks
- Export references
- Access and delete notes
- Access book information
The layout of the page can be changed from the display options menu at the top right corner. You can:
- Fit page to screen by height
- Fit page width to screen
- Zoom out and zoom in
You can select full screen mode by clicking the square icon on the far right at the top of the screen.
Export a reference by clicking the double quotes icon on the left of the screen. It will bring up a pop up window with options to export to RefWorks or EndNote. Click Export Reference once you’ve made your selection.