If I am an external student or on a leave of absence, am I exempt from council tax?

If you live in the Birmingham City Council area and have external status or are on an approved leave of absence from a full-time programme of study, you will continue to appear on the student lists we send to the council and should therefore be exempt from council tax (as long as you live alone or solely with other qualifying students). However, please note that the final decision will be at the discretion of the council.

If you live under a different council area, your exemption will be at the discretion of the council. You can request a bespoke statement to confirm your current status if your council asks for evidence of this.


Professional Services