How do I know if I need an ATAS certificate?

New students

You can check whether you need an ATAS certificate at the government's ATAS page.

Current students

You are issued an ATAS Clearance Certificate for a specific course with a named provider which covers the length of that course from the course start date to the course end date given on the CAS, plus up to an additional 3 calendar months of study. The certificate remains valid as long as your provider and / or course details do not change. If your provider and / or course details do change, or your course end date is postponed for a period of more than 3 calendar months, you must apply for a new ATAS Clearance Certificate within 28 calendar days of being notified of the change in course, regardless of when your leave expires.

You will also need to apply for a new ATAS certificate if:

Where there is a change to the length of your course because you are deferring your studies, and sponsorship is withdrawn, the application for a new ATAS clearance certificate should be made at the time you are applying for entry clearance or leave to remain in order to start the course again.

Thank you. We are glad this answered your question


Professional Services