How do I enter my term-time address?
Students returning to the University to continue their studies must enter both a home and term-time address to be able to register.
A term-time address is where you will be living during the academic year whilst you are studying on your course. If this is the same as your home address you should still enter this information.
Selecting the type of address to insert
- You will select the type of address to insert on the 'Update Addresses and Telephone Numbers - Select Address' page.
- The addresses the University currently holds for you will be shown on this page. Make sure that these addresses are in date and accurate.
- To insert a new term-time address click on 'term-time' address in the drop down menu and then click 'New Address'.
- This will take you to the 'Update Addresses and Telephone Numbers - Update / Insert' page. This is where you will enter the address you want the University to use as your 'term-time address'.
How to update your address - if your term-time address is in the UK
- You should not enter the University of Birmingham (B15 2TT) as your address except in exceptional circumstances.
- Underneath the information text you will see a 'Find UK Address' box. To use this you will need the postcode and the first line of your term-time address. If you are unsure what your postcode is you can look this up on the Royal Mail website.
- When you click 'Find UK Address' you will be asked to confirm that this is the address you wish to insert.
- When you click 'Accept Address' this will populate the address fields.
- It is important that if your address is not in the UK that you do not untick the 'UK address' field.
- You must now enter a date that the address is valid from; it is best to enter today's date here. The date must be in the format dd/mm/yyyy, if it is not you will receive an error message when you click 'Submit'.
- An address end date will automatically be entered for you. This will be the end of the current academic session e.g. students registering for a programme in September 2016 will be given the end date 30/06/2017. If this is not correct please over-type this date with the correct end date for your address.
- You must select the type of accommodation that best describes your term-time address. If you do not do this your changes will not be saved and you will need to re-enter your address information. The following accommodation types are available:
- University owned property (if your term-time address is University provided accommodation)
- Private-sector halls (if your term-time address is private student accommodation)
- Other rented accommodation (if your term-time address is a privately rented property that isn't rented on a permanent basis)
- Parental / guardian home (if your term-time address is the same as your home address and your parents / guardians own or rent the property)
- Own permanent residence (if your term-time address is the same as your home address and you permanently own or rent the property)
- Not known (if you are unsure as to which of the other options apply)
- Other (if none of the other options apply)
- If your address is in the UK you do not need to select a 'Nation' type.
- You can also enter the telephone number for your address in the field provided
- Once you have entered all of the required fields click 'Submit' and you will be redirected to the 'Select Address' page where you can view your changes.
- If your term-time address expires before the end of the academic session a warning message will be displayed 'Warning: This address will expire within the current academic session - it is essential that you update this address on or before the dd/mm/yyyy'. It is important that when your address expires that you return to Online Registration and update your address details.
How to update your address - if your term-time address is not in the UK or not recognised by the address finder
You can enter your term-time address without using the address finder. To do this enter the address lines in the fields provided making sure that all mandatory fields are completed and clicking 'Submit' to confirm that the data is accurate. If your address is not in the UK you can remove the tick in the 'UK address' field which will enable you to enter a local zip or postal code.