What is Careers Connect, and how can I access it?
Careers Connect is the system Careers Network uses for booking appointments and event places, viewing vacancies for jobs and work experience opportunities, and looking at the employers who have registered with us.
Careers Network hosts and runs a wide range of events, including presentations by employers, workshops on CVs and interviews, careers fairs, business skills training for international students, and a lot more. These events are listed on our website and within Careers Connect. Some of these events have a limited number of places available; you should book through Careers Connect to make sure you do not miss out.
Current students can book careers appointments using Careers Connect. Appointments can be booked up to seven days in advance and we offer a range of appointment types for students to discuss topics such as: career direction, CVs, finding work experience, application forms, postgraduate study, interview preparation, and anything else relating to careers. To access Careers Connect please click on the link below and login using your my.bham username and password:
Once logged in, please choose the appointment type you require and then you will be able to see what is available in the next seven days; if all appointments are booked please check the system regularly for new appointments being made available. Please note, as careers appointments are very popular, students are limited to 3 of each appointment type per term.
Graduates, alumni, and other course leavers are all eligible for assistance for up to two years after leaving the University. However, for technical reasons, they cannot directly book appointments through Careers Connect – if you fall into one of these categories, please contact us by selecting 'Contact Us' at the end of this FAQ. Please also read the section below about user accounts.
Careers Connect includes a large database of opportunities, for graduate jobs, work experience, voluntary work, postgraduate funding, and more. If you are looking for something to do in the summer vacation, or a permanent job when you graduate, Careers Connect is a good place to start.
Logging in to Careers Connect
All current students, including both undergraduate and postgraduate students, should be able to log in to Careers Connect using their standard my.bham username and password.
If you are having difficulty logging in, please go through the following checks before contacting us:
- If you are a current student, make sure that you are using the 'student' login. The 'graduate' login is for alumni with graduate accounts (see below), not for postgraduate students. Postgraduate students should still use the 'student' login.
- If you are not a current student, you would need to use a 'graduate account' to access Careers Connect (regardless of whether or not you have graduated). Please see below for details about using graduate accounts.
- Please make sure that you are using your standard University username and password. This will be the same as your login details for my.bham. This is not managed separately: we cannot reset your password for Careers Connect only. If you need to reset your University username and password, please contact IT services.
- Please make sure that you are using your username and not your whole email address. Your email address is not your username: your username is usually the part before the @ symbol in your email address.
If you have studied at the University of Birmingham, you should be eligible for a graduate account on Careers Connect. This includes:
- All students who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate course
- Former undergraduate or postgraduate students who were not able to complete their degree, and have now left
- Students who have studied at the University of Birmingham as part of their year abroad
It does not include the following, who are not eligible for Careers Connect accounts unless they also fall into one of the categories above:
- Current or former students of other universities
- Members of staff at the University of Birmingham (including paid research staff)
- Prospective students of the University of Birmingham (who should wait until they enrol, shortly after which they should be granted a current student account)
- Current students of the University of Birmingham (who should use their current student account, and should not pre-emptively attempt to register a graduate account)
To register for a graduate account, you must go to the graduate registration page and complete the registration form, which asks for your email address, name, course, and so on.
- Do not attempt to use a student email address - your application will be rejected. Students with active current student addresses should be using their current student account; graduates who will shortly lose access to their student account should provide a personal email address.
- Do not attempt to register for a new graduate account just because you have changed your email address or forgotten your password. In these circumstances, please use the 'password reset' options provided and, if necessary, edit your account details to update your email address. Duplicate registrations will be rejected.
- We need to confirm your identity before we can approve your registration. Please make sure that you provide us with all the relevant information so that we can match your application to your student records. If your name has changed since you were a student with us, please include this information in the 'details' field.
Please note that approval of graduate account registrations is not immediate and may take up to seven days.
Please also note that, for technical reasons, graduates cannot book appointments directly through Careers Connect. Graduate accounts allow you to do the following:
- You can view our events, and book places on some events (although please note that current undergraduates may take priority for some events, at the discretion of those running the event on the day)
- You can view and apply for our listed vacancies (subject to any eligibility restrictions stated)
- Having a graduate account makes it much easier for us to book an appointment on your behalf - if you wish to book an appointment, let us know your availability and any access requirements (eg whether you can attend appointments on campus or if you need advice via telephone) using the 'contact us' link below.
Access for postgraduate students
Most current postgraduate students will have automatically been granted a student account. If you are a current postgraduate who has not accessed Careers Connect before, please first attempt to log in as a student via the student login page, using your standard university username and password. Please do not attempt to register for a graduate account without first checking whether you have student access. Graduate accounts are primarily for students who have left the university, and duplicate accounts can cause confusion.
In some exceptional cases, particularly for some postgraduate courses where registration happens after the start of the Autumn term, a student account may not have been automatically created. In these cases, we create graduate accounts early for those postgraduate students who would otherwise have no access to the system; if you think this has happened to you, please register a graduate account and explain the situation in the comments field. If you have to register in this way, you will need to use the graduate login page, not the student login page.