I am/will be a PhD student on a Joint/Dual programme with an EU institution. How will Brexit affect my studies, funding and supervision? Will I be able to move freely between the two institutions?

The UK Government has confirmed that EU students applying for courses commencing in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 academic years will not see any change to their loan eligibility or fee status. This guarantee will apply for the full duration of the course, even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU. The UK Government has also confirmed that this will be the case in England whether or not the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

As yet, there has been no decision on either fee status or financial support for those planning to commence a course from the academic year 2021/22. We are working across the Higher Education sector to urge UK Government to provide clarity on EU students' fees and access to student funding support beyond the 2020/2021 academic year.

If the UK leaves the EU under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, then a transition period (sometimes referred to as an implementation period) will apply for the period up to 31 December 2020. During the transition period free movement will effectively continue and EU and British nationals will continue to be able to study and travel freely between the UK and the EU. Arrangements that will apply from 1 January 2021 are not yet known.

In a 'no-deal' scenario, EU nationals who are not resident in the UK before the date the UK leaves the EU (ie, who are not covered by the Settlement Scheme) will be able to visit the UK for up to three months without requiring a visa including to work and study. An application for European Temporary Leave to Remain would need to be made if the EU national wishes to remain in the UK for more than three months for any purpose.

In a 'no-deal' scenario the position for British nationals who wish to study in other EU countries after the UK leaves the EU will be determined on a country-by-country basis. Country-specific information on the rights and requirements of UK nationals living and moving abroad is available on the Government's Living in Country Guides.


Professional Services