I have a Tier 4 visa and need to take leave of absence. Will this affect my visa?

If you apply for a Leave of Absence for period longer that 2 months then the reason for which your Student Route (previously Tier 4) visa was granted no longer applies. The University will report to the Home Office that you are on a leave of absence and that we are no longer your immigration sponsor.  As a result, your visa will be curtailed. You will be expected to return to your home country and finish your leave of absence there. This must be agreed with the University in advance of your return home. You will also be expected to apply for a new CAS to make a new entry clearance visa to return to the UK to continue your studies when your leave of absence has ended.

If your leave of absence is longer than 2 months, the University is required to withdraw your immigration sponsorship.  The University will confirm this to you and a report will be made to the Home Office, which will result in your existing visa being curtailed (shortened).

If you have more than 60 days remaining on your current visa the Home Office will curtail your visa to give you 60 days to leave the UK.  You should receive a letter or email from the Curtailment Team confirming curtailment of your visa and they will give you a date by which you must leave the UK.  If you have less than 60 days remaining on your current visa the Home Office will expect you to leave the UK before the end of the visa.

If after the University has withdrawn sponsorship and you leave the UK before the curtailment of your visa- your visa will automatically end on the date you leave. You must not use the visa to return to the UK.


Professional Services