I am due to return from leave of absence, do I need a new visa?
Once you are ready to return to the University of Birmingham to commence your studies, you need complete a return from leave of absence form (if you applied for leave of absence after 19th of April you will automatically prompted to return). If you were absent because of health reasons you will be expected to provide medical evidence that you are fit and well to resume your studies.
You will need to contact the International Student Team (IST) to start your CAS Request process so that you can make a new Study Route visa application to return to the UK and continue your studies.
It is recommended that you contact the IST at least three months before your intended return date.
Please note - if you are a student who requires ATAS clearance, you will not be assigned a new CAS until you evidence that you have obtained new ATAS clearance. You should make your ATAS application as early as possible - the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, who manage ATAS, recommend that applicants apply four months before they want to apply for their CAS.
The following advice is being provided to you in advance.
Preparation of your new Student Route Visa application:
- Apply for your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies): Please read our CAS information carefully.
- Check to see whether you need an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme).
- Before your CAS statement can be issued, IST are required to check all supporting documentation that you intend to submit in support of your Study route visa application.
Therefore, we require you to send the IST the following documents via email (scanned) 3 months prior to your return date to the UK:
- Completed CAS Request Form with Section D signed by supervisor/school
- ATAS Certificate (if applicable)
- Passport and visa/BRP and any previous passports and visas used to enter the UK
- Bank Statements/Sponsor Letter/Parent bank statements (as applicable)
- Evidence of your relationship with your parents if you are using their bank account and a letter of consent confirming they are happy to cover your living costs and tuition fees.
- Professional Translations of any documents not in English - see our translation guidance.
- If you have been away from the UK for more than 6 months and are from a country for which a TB test certificate is required then you must apply for a TB test.
- Maintenance - in order to come to the UK with a Student Route visa you will need to show that you have enough money to cover your course and can support yourself during your studies (maintenance).