I would like to use my preferred first name at my graduation ceremony to align with my gender identity. How can I notify the University?

Graduating students who have an equality-related circumstance, such as gender identity, can request arrangements for using their preferred first names at their graduation ceremonies, such as the printed ceremony programme and the name reading on the stage.

To make this request, please contact the Student Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Team at least 2 months before your graduation ceremony via email: studentequality@contacts.bham.ac.uk.

You will need to provide the following information when making this request:

Please note that these inclusive arrangements are for the use of names at graduation ceremonies due to equality-related circumstances only. Degree certificates, academic transcripts and proof of registration letters, however, must be printed with legal names. These are legal documents that may refer to awards granted using powers conferred onto the University through an Act of Parliament.

Students who wish to ensure that their name are pronounced correctly when being presented for their degree will need to complete a Pronunciation of Names form. Further information can be found on the name pronunciation webpage.

If you are only in the position to change your legal name after graduation, you may contact Registry to retrospectively request updating the name on your certificate. You will be asked to provide further evidence to verify identity and name change for security purposes. Should we be able to accommodate the request, you would then be directed to order replacement copies.


Professional Services